University of Mumbai has produced 12 billionaires.
By The American Bazaar Staff
MUMBAI: In a stunning revelation, the humble University of Mumbai has emerged in the 9th position globally, in terms of the number of billionaires produced who got an undergraduate degree from a specific college, beating Ivy League institutions like Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Columbia University.
“Which Universities Produce The Most Billionaires”, an annual list of the top 20 institutions globally brought out by the Wealth-X and UBS Billionaire Census, is dominated by universities in the US – there are only three universities from elsewhere- but it’s remarkable that the one Indian university that managed to get in, is not an IIT. In fact, IIT does not figure on the list at all.
Apart from the University of Mumbai, which produced altogether 12 billionaires and is tied with the University of California, Berkeley, which also has produced 12 billionaires but for some reason is ranked one place higher at the eighth spot – the other two non-US institutions are: the London School of Economics and Political Science in the United Kingdom (10th spot with 11 billionaires), and the Lomonosov Moscow State University in Russia (11th spot with 11 billionaires).
The University of Pennsylvania, with 25 billionaires to its credit, tops the rankings with an impressive 25 billionaires in its undergraduate alum list. Harvard University (22 billionaires), Yale (20 billionaires), University of Southern California (16 billionaires), Princeton and Cornell (14 billionaires), follow in order.
And for those institutions who did not make the cut – although it’s not going to be consolation for the IITs – the study pointed out that 35% of the 2,325 billionaires in the world have not obtained a tertiary-level degree. The famous university dropouts include Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg. Both walked out of Harvard during their undergraduate years to start their respective businesses.
The Top 20 list of universities that produced the most billionaires:
1. UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (UNITED STATES) — 25
2. HARVARD UNIVERSITY (UNITED STATES) — 22
3. YALE UNIVERSITY (UNITED STATES) — 20
4. UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (UNITED STATES) — 16
5. PRINCETON UNIVERSITY (UNITED STATES) — 14
6. CORNELL UNIVERSITY (UNITED STATES) — 14
7. STANFORD UNIVERSITY (UNITED STATES) 14
8. UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY (UNITED STATES) — 12
9. UNIVERSITY OF MUMBAI (INDIA) — 12
10. LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL SCIENCE (UNITED KINGDOM) — 11
11. LOMONOSOV MOSCOW STATE UNIVERSITY (RUSSIA) — 11
12. UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS (UNITED STATES) — 10
13. DARTMOUTH COLLEGE (UNITED STATES) — 10
14. UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN (UNITED STATES) — 10
15. NEW YORK UNIVERSITY (UNITED STATES) — 9
16. DUKE UNIVERSITY (UNITED STATES) — 9
17. COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY (UNITED STATES) — 8
18. BROWN UNIVERSITY (UNITED STATES) — 8
19. MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (UNITED STATES) — 7
20. ETH ZURICH SWITZERLAND — 6