The newest Indian model taking the US by storm has a Bollywood connection.
The Hadids and the Jenners may be ruling the catwalks and the beauty campaigns, but there is a new Indian beauty on the block who may be shaking things a bit. Naomi Janumala, the new face of pop singer Rihanna’s fashion brand Fenty Beauty, is riding high on the adulation she has been receiving ever since she appeared in the very high-profile and just released campaign by the pop singer.
The Indian beauty is among only a handful of models from South Asia who have been able to make a mark in the very competitive and very white dominated American modelling scene. But, as diversity and inclusion becomes the buzzword, we would have more opportunities to see brown models in mainstream America.
For now, let toast and celebrate Janumala’s big feat, and here’s everything that you need to know on the hottest “it” model of the moment. And, well, like all things Indian, she does have a Bollywood connection!
- Naomi Janumala is Bollywood comedian Johnny Lever’s niece. But, unlike her uncle, the Mumbai-bred girl did not look at movies for a career, but charted a modeling journey instead. Her dad Jimmy Moses has appeared as a comedian in some Hindi movies, including Soorma.
- Janumala did not just bag the big campaign, but all her campaign pictures are shot by the global icon Rihanna herself. Reportedly Rihanna was super happy to know that Naomi is an Indian, as she was inspired by India and included some elements in her line, too.
- While Janumala may have got noticed big time just now, this is not her only big break. She has in the past modeled for Alexandra Wang, Levis, H&M, American Eagle and Adidas.
- Janumala also bagged her first magazine cover this month. She was on the cover of Indian edition of fashion magazine Elle. She couldn’t hide her excitement and posted many pictures of the magazine on her Instagram.
- Janumala’s big break came through her modelling agency and she was handpicked for the campaign by Rihanna herself. She is represented by Anima Creative Management in New York.